Palac and Park Complex in Struga

  • www.palacstruga.pl

Wieniawa- Herb Rodziny Czettritz

Palace and Park Complex in Struga (Adelsbach) includes:

  • palac-struga-herbBaroque décor Palace
  • palac-struga-herbPalace Servants’ Quarters
  • palac-struga-herbHistoric Park

After being erected in the second half of the 16th century by the Czettritz family, the palace was at first a fortified manor-house. In the 17th and the 18th century it was rebuilt to become a baroque residence. Its early history remains unknown. The first records concerning the primary building in Struga have been preserved thanks to the history of the Czettritz family written down by Hugo von Czettritz. According to the author a knight residence called "Gesetze" must have existed in Struga as early as in 1453.

The first known owner of the village was Heinmann de Adellungesbach (Struga). He was first noted as a witness in a document of Konrad Reinchenabach in Dzierżoniów before 23rd of July 1290. Documents mention a knight Urlich Schoff as the owner of the village in 1377. Unfortunately he died without a male heir and Struga as a male fief returned to the hands of the Czech king. On the 14th of February 1453 Hans von Golditz (the starost of Świdnicko-Jaworskie Duchy) sold Struga to Herman Czettritz. The castle was rebuilt between 1545 and 1585 by Abraham Czettritz , who lived in Struga. Coats of arms of his and his wife Maria vov Nimptsch are still visible in the portal. The Czettritz family line of Struga came to an end with the death of Jan Jerzy in 1670. After that the Lower Struga and Cieszów fell to Henryk Czettritz Neuhaus. The Czettritz family also owned Lubomin (germ. Liebersdorf), Cieszów (germ. Fröhlichedorf) with the ruins of Cisy castle (germ. Zeiskenschloss), Mrowiny (germ. Konradswaldau), Czarny Bór (germ. Schwartzwaldau) and Jabłów (germ. Gablau). Later they acquired the lower part of Boguszowa (germ. Gottesberges), Laski (germ. Lässig) and Wilberg. Struga remained property of Czettritz family until the 18th century.

Beginning from 1733 Upper and Lower Struga were possessed by heirs of Krystian von Kluges. Karol Ferdynand von Seher-Thoss purchased the property from them and after his death it was taken over by his sister Maria Eleonora, who married general Prittwitz. Later on the land was in hands of Charlotta Zofia Tugendreich née von Lieres.

At the beginning of the 19th century the palace was rebuilt again by its proprietor count Zeithen. Later owners remain unknown.

Archeological excavations commissioned by current owners allowed localization of the original residence in the south-east part of the present-day palace. With high probability it is assumed that in the 2nd half of the 15th century it was quadrilateral residential tower with a basement. Later a rectangular residential building was added to the north wall. At the turn of the 16th century an object considered to be the tower was finally created.

In the first half of the 16th century another reconstruction was executed adding the west palace wing. It was marked with a date engraved in a column shaft in the north-west corner room. In the 2nd half of the 17th century or at the beginning of 18th century a retaining wall and east wall buttresses were constructed. The wall was probably reinforcing the edge of the moat surrounding the building. At the end of the 18th century the last conversion was made eliminating the buttresses and filling up the alleged moat.

Palace and Park Complex in Struga is situated alongside the road from Szczawno Zdrój to Stare Bogaczowice. The brick and stone palace walls form a three storey building consisting of four wings surrounding a small, rectangular courtyard. An octagonal turret overlooks the mansard roof of the north wing. In the mid section of the front elevation a main sandstone portal is situated with a stone heraldic cartouche over the entrance.

Vis-a-vis the palace, north-east from it, a four-storey servants’ quarters were raised, originally on L-letter plan. In 2010 and 2011 they were entirely reconstructed and renovated, regaining an original roof, old colors and gaining a new wing. Archeological excavations and studies have shown that south-west wall of the quarters dates back to the same age as the tower house, which is a part of the palace now. An exhibition showing the process of the servants’ quarters renovation and reconstruction is to be opened in spring 2012.

 


(source: „Studium historyczno-architektoniczne Pałacu w Strudze (pow. Wałbrzych)”, Zofia Bandurska, 1974. and „Sprawozdanie z ratowniczych badań archeologicznych w trakcie osuszania fundamentów pałacu w Strudze” Artur Boguszewicz, 2004)